The Top 50 List for 2023, as rated by a prestigious judging panel, along with the 50 GGW- Hall of Fame, awarded to two excellent Greek wines.
The end of the third edition of the 50 Great Greek Wines (50 GGW) competition brought a sense of accomplishment for another successful wine list. With a record-breaking 201 wineries from Greece and Cyprus and 609 wines participating, far more than last year, this year’s event, that took place at the Grand Resort Lagonissi in the presence of Mr. Dimitris Fragkakis, the secretary general of the ΗTΟ (Hellenic Tourism Organisation, EOT) was a great success, continuing to establish itself as a prestigious showcase of the best Greek wine has to offer.
As every year, 50 GGW assembled a prestigious judging panel. The judges’ board includes Julia Harding MW (Senior Editor and Writer at JancisRobinson.com), Μark Andrew MW (co-founder of Noble Rot Magazine & Restaurants), Lenka Sedlackova MW (Senior Brand Manager at Bancroft), Wojciech Bońkowski MW (Wine Writer), Caro Maurer MW (Journalist and Wine Educator), Demetri Walters MW (Wine Consultant), and Christophe Heynen MW (Serial Entrepreneur in the Wine Industry).
The wines honored with a place in the list of 50 Great Greek Wines are expected to successfully represent Greece in the international markets. It is noted that for the first time prizes were also awarded to the winners of the individual categories.
There was a special distinction for the two wines that were awarded in all three 50 GGW so far.
The 50 Great Greek Wines – Hall of Fame were awarded to Argyros Cuvee Evdemon Estate and Lyraraki Dafni Winery. To be noted that the presentation of the list is under the auspices of the Ministry of Tourism and the Greek Wine Industry.
The Full list
- Gaia Wines, ”Ammonite” 2020, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Troupis Winery, ”Pitys Ritinitis” 2021, Assyrtiko, Peloponnese
- Gentilini Winery & Vineyards, ”Iri’s Vineyard” 2021, Mavrodaphne, Cephalonia
- Lyrarakis Wines, ”Dafni Psarades” 2021, Crete
- Akritos Oinos, ”Adrestea” 2020, Chidiriotiko, Lesvos
- Lafazanis Winery, ”Geometria” 2021, Agiorgitiko, Peloponnese
- Argyros Estate, ”Cuvée Monsignori” 2019, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Diamantakis Winery, ”Petali” 2019, Liatiko, Crete
- Alpha Estate, ”Ecosystem Xinomavro Reserve Vieilles Vignes Single Block Barba Yannis” 2018, Xinomavro, Amyndeo
- Ktima Zafeiraki, Limniona 2019, Tyrnavos
- Oenops Wines, Xinomavro 2020, Greece
- Artemis Karamolegos Winery, ”34” 2019, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Strataridakis Winery, Moschato Spinas 2021, Crete
- Gavalas Winery, ”Enalia” 2018, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Kokotos Estate, Kokotos Estate 2017, Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot, Attica
- Artemis Karamolegos Winery, Nykteri 2018, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Artemis Karamolegos Winery, ”Pyritis” 2019, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Troupis Winery, ”Route Gris” 2021, Moschofilero, Peloponnese
- Amargiotakis Winery, Thrapsathiri 2020, Crete
- Oenops Wines, Limniona 2020, Greece
- Artemis Karamolegos Winery, ”34” 2020, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Argyros Estate, ”Cuvée Evdemon” 2018, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Alexakis, Kotsifali 2019, Crete
- Tiniakoi Ampelones, ”Clos Stegasta” 2020, Assyrtiko, Tinos
- Avantis Estate, ”Collection” 2017, Syrah, Evia
- Wine Art Estate, ”Idisma Drios Xi” 2017, Xinomavro, Macedonia
- Kir Yianni, ”Ramnista” 2017, Xinomavro, Naoussa
- Argyros Estate, ”Cuvée Evdemon” 2019, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Noema, ”Invicta” 2019, Xinomavro, Amyndeo
- Spanoudis Winery, ”Ventum” 2019, Xinomavro/Merlot, Paiko
- Theopetra Estate, Limniona 2018, Meteora
- Manolesakis Winery, ”Pelagia” 2018, Pinot Noir/Agiorgitiko, Macedonia
- Argyros Estate, ”Cuvée Nykteri” 2018, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Athanasiou Winery, ”Thronos” 2020, Agiorgitiko, Nemea
- Tiniakoi Ampelones, ”Clos Stegasta” Mavrotragano 2019, Tinos
- Kir Yianni, ”Diaporos” 2017, Xinomavro/Syrah, Imathia
- Terrasea Winery – Mikra Thira , ”Terrasea” 2020, Assyrtiko/Aidani, Santorini
- Ktima Zafeiraki, ”Terracotta” 2020, Limniona, Tyrnavos
- Dougos Winery, Rapsani Old Vines 2018, Xinomavro blend, Rapsani
- Ktima Gerovassiliou, Chardonnay 2020, Epanomi
- Tetramythos Winery, ”Laurier Noir Nature” 2020, Mavrodaphne, Peloponnese
- Volcanic Slopes Vineyard, ”Pure” 2018, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Domaine Sigalas, Mavrotragano 2020, Cyclades
- Sant’Or, Santameriana Skin Contact 2021, Peloponnese
- Douloufakis Winery, ”Dafnios” 2016, Vidiano, Crete
- Domaine Sigalas, ”Kavalieros” 2020, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Sarris, ”Panochori Old Vines” 2021, Robola, Cephalonia
- Gavalas Winery, ”Natural Ferment” 2020, Assyrtiko, Santorini
- Dougos Winery, ”Meth’ Imon L” 2020, Limniona, Thessaly
- Domaine Paterianakis, Vidiano 2020, Crete & Terrasea Winery – Mikra Thira, Santorini 2020, Assyrtiko/Aidani, Santorini
Results were announced during the Awards Ceremony at Grand Resort Lagonissi on October 20th 2023.